Sleep apnea is a kind of sleep disorder that causes breathing problems while you’re asleep. Obesity and age play a major role in the advancement of this condition.
There are two primary kinds of sleep apnea—Central and Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
Check out its Symptoms:
- Frequent, loud snoring
- Sleep interruptions or insomnia
- You wake up from sleep with a sore throat or dry mouth
- Choking, snorting or gasping while asleep
- Daytime sleepiness and fatigue
- Get up several times during the night to urinate
Few home remedies to cure Sleep Apnea and get a better sleep experience:
If you’re suffering from mild cases of sleep apnea, just little changes in your lifestyle may be enough to treat this issue. Follow the given below instructions-
- Lose weight. Once you lose weight, it easily can open up your throat and minimize your symptoms of sleep apnea.
- Daily exercise. Do aerobic exercise, or yoga, or resistance training daily to strengthen the muscles in your airways and to breathe better.
- Sleep on your side. To lie on your back is the worst position if you are suffering from sleep apnea. It makes your jaw, tongue, and other soft tissues drop back toward the throat, and this narrows your air passage.
But if you lay on your side, it allows you to keep your airway open. You can even lie on your belly. And if you lie on your back, remember to keep your head elevated.
- Avoid taking alcohol, anti-anxiety medication, and other sedatives, generally before bedtime. When you take all these, it makes your throat muscles relax and disturbs breathing.
- You can use a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device when you sleep. A CPAP device is a solution that helps to keep your airways open. All you gotta do is wear a mask over your mouth and nose while you go to sleep. This mask is connected to a device that pumps air into your throat through a hose. And it inflates the throat and prevents it from getting collapsed!
- Surgery may also be a treatment option in few cases. But let your dentist always decide what’s apt for you!
Various health hazards can also happen due to sleep apnea—and sometimes even life-threatening. Therefore, you shouldn’t leave it untreated. Health issues caused by sleep apnea include:
- Excessive sleepiness.
- Increases mood disorders like depression and anxiety.
- High blood pressure.
- Worsens your memory and loss of the ability to concentrate.
- Triggered headaches.
- Weight gain.
- Chances of strokes, irregular heartbeats
- Metabolic abnormalities.
- Liver complications.
You can get in touch with Baymeadows Park Dental if you want to receive the best treatment for sleep apnea conditions in Jacksonville, FL. Our Dentist in Jacksonville will diagnose the precise extent of the condition and can prescribe a suitable treatment plan. Book an appointment and we’re happy to help you.